We consider it an honor to be a part of your child's early education experience and to share in your family's lives!
Our top-notch teachers engage each child in a variety of fun and developmentally appropriate learning activities, while nurturing and encouraging them as a whole person. We value a holistic approach in teaching children and use HighScope curriculum with teacher modification along with state learning guidelines. We believe students and teachers are partners in shaping the learning experience and development for life-long learning.
At Hillcrest Weekly Preschool, children experience a safe and welcoming classroom that fosters growth and promotes positive learning experiences. Our program reflects Christian values, inspires an appreciation for the world around them, and builds a foundation for future success.
Weekday Preschool Enrichment Activities Can Include:
* Music Classes
* Pumpkin Patch
* Shawnee Mission Environmental Lab
* Fire Station
* Ernie Miller Nature Center
* The Story Teller
* Ceramic Cafe
1s and 2s Curriculum, Learning Goals, and Class Hours
The 1’s and 2’s curriculum provides age appropriate learning activities which include shape, color, and alphabet recognition, as well as activities to increase large and small motor development. Combined with simple biblical concepts, these activities provide a positive learning experience.
1s and 2s Learning Goals:
Increase listening skills and attention span
* Follow simple one and two step directions
* Increase interactive social skills
* Develop and increase fine and large motor skills
* Introduce basic colors, shapes, songs and the use of coloring supplies
9:15 AM to 2:30 PM
3s, 4s and Pre-K Curriculum, Learning Goals, and Class Hours
Through our curriculum—built upon weekly thematic units—children engage in literature and art-based activities, creative and dramatic play, and hands-on experiences. A variety of teaching methods meets the learning styles of each child and allows for individual growth and development of a positive self image.
3s, 4s and Pre-K Learning Goals:
* Recognize letters of the alphabet and identify their sounds
* Write letters, short words and short sentences
* Strengthen the understanding of opposites, sorting, matching, similarities and differences, and sequencing
* Learn phone number and address
* Identify and write numerals 1-20
* Compare number and amount: more, less, and same
* Experience and compare time intervals
* Investigate and label the attributes of objects
* Arrange two sets of objects in one-to-one correspondence
9:15 to 11:45 AM / Extended days 11:45 AM to 2:30 PM
Mary Ann Hansen
For more information or a tour of our facilities, contact Gretchen Gordon, Preschool Director.
For kids enrolled in our summer program, please contact Susan Freedman, our summer director.